Thursday, July 7, 2016

Dog fooding my app

My stopwatch app was close to being done and I was looking forward to releasing a stopwatch app that I want to use. I tested it along with a small number of trusted beta testers. It’s a stopwatch, what’s the big deal? Press the start, stop and reset buttons. Check the accuracy against a standard stopwatch and you’re done, right? Not quite. I’m really into track and field. I ran as a child and still run currently. I’m also a track coach for a great track club in Houston, TX. At a recent meet, I timed my daughter’s relay team with my new app. My heart pumped with pride as I fought the urge to tell everyone around that I wrote this app. The race started and I hit the start button when I saw the smoke, not waiting for the sound. Everything went perfectly. I timed all of the splits and looked forward to reporting the times to my fellow track coaches. There was just one little problem. I accidentally touched the reset button, which cleared the screen, losing all of the data. All of the times that I had just recorded were gone. Poof! Luckily I remembered the times, so it wasn’t a complete waste. But this exposed a problem. The app needs to confirm that the user wants to do a reset. Without it, other users would run into the same issue. Losing all of the data because of one errant button press should not be allowed to happen. To correct this, I have added a confirmation dialog. So now when the user hits the reset button, the confirmation dialog is the last line of defense against complete data loss.

No comments:

Post a Comment